Monday, March 23, 2015

Typography Images

Typography is the design and use of typefaces as a way of communication. Typefaces are used in typography, and are sets of one or more fonts. Typography is based off of handwritten letterforms. Typography surrounds everything from calligraphy through digital type and type on Web pages. It also includes type designers who create new letterforms as well as designers and calligraphers who use the letters as part of their designs. Typography uses typefaces and the whitespace around and through them to create a whole design. Basically, it is portraiture covered entirely with relatable words over a black background. To make a lasting impact using typography, of course, it has to be beautiful. Besides visual beauty, the words must have a powerful and deep meaning that people are able to read and enjoy. Maybe a poem could be in the portrait or a famous quote. This could create an impact if the passage is deep and touching, or relates to the reader.

For me personally, the hardest part was remembering the steps and following a long with the demos. I would usually get stuck on one step, and miss the next steps because I am trying to figure out the step that I missed. To overcome these challenges/mistakes I would either ask a friend for help, or I would wait for Mr. Sanderl to finish his demo to either help me or do another demonstration. Because I do this often, I have learned to just listen to the instructions completely, until I start working on them. This usually helps me finish quicker and more efficiently, because I do not make mistakes forcing me to restart or make everything more difficult than it would have to be.

For my first example, I took an image of Nikola Tesla off of google images. For this particular image, the words covering his portrait was several paragraphs about him and his life. I got the information off of wikipedia. I personally like this one because it is just black and white making the text more visible. Also, you can see more of the words easier because the text was not a brush, it was pasted on in paragraphs that don't overlap. For my second example, I took the photo of my Science teacher Mrs. Bandsma. Like the first example, I covered her portrait with text however this one was a bit different. For the text in this image, I created a brush of text that I could place anywhere on her face. Because of this, I was able to make the words different sizes. Because of the bright colors, I think that the image pops out more however I feel the words are more challenging to read. My last portrait is the "me" portrait. This image is a portrait of my own face, hence the name "me portrait". I personally like this one best because of the vibrance and colors. I was able to adjust the vibrance of my word sections making the lighter parts lighter and the shadows darker creating a more realistic image. Like the 2nd example, the text was created as a brush, yet the words are much more obvious and easy to read, mainly because of the size and vibrance. Overall I think I made quality work and was successful and satisfied with my final outcome.






No comments:

Post a Comment